LONDON, England – Jadon Sancho is the subject of a standoff between Man Utd manager Erik ten Hag and the manager; ten Hag would not permit Sancho to return to first-team training until he apologizes.
In reaction, Ten Hag said he left the winger out of the team for the loss to Arsenal because of his “performance in training.”
John Murtough, the director of football, and Richard Arnold, the company’s CEO, tried to mediate the situation in the hopes that it would be settled during the break for international play.
There is still no sign of a deal from either side, and United maintain that the key to a solution is an apology from Sancho to Ten Hag.
When questioned about the situation following Tuesday night’s 3-0 Carabao Cup victory over Crystal Palace, the Dutchman declined to comment.
Ten Hag cannot support a player publicly undermining his authority by calling him a liar, which is a blatant violation of the rules of conduct.
Sancho, who feels mistreated, has received the support of the Professional Footballers’ Association. Senior players at United have reportedly also attempted to correct the problem, according to Sky Sports News.
While some teammates feel for Sancho, nobody believes that he should have sent the now-deleted tweet that had been seen more than 60 million times on X, formerly known as Twitter.
Sancho has been cut from the first-team squad since September 14. He canceled his Instagram account on Tuesday morning.
United maintains that he is not working in “isolation” but rather uses Carrington Academy facilities to carry out a personal training regimen.
The 23-year-old continues to be watched over by trainers and coaches, receives medical assistance, and has access to all other necessities at the practice facility. He is simply working outside of the first-team atmosphere until the matter is resolved, according to the club.
Sancho underwent an individual conditioning program in the Netherlands last season, which allowed him to watch the World Cup from a distance. This is not the first time the England player has been barred from United training sessions under Ten Hag.
Between October 22 and February 1, Sancho missed United’s games, but he returned to the lineup for the Carabao Cup final victory against Newcastle. Sancho finished last season with seven goals and three assists for United.
Concerns are raised regarding their right-wing player depth as a result of Sancho’s most recent absence from the first-team squad and Antony’s postponed return due to assault charges.
The Brazilian winger disputes the allegations, but he has been given a paid leave of absence and is not being suspended.
Andros Townsend, a former Crystal Palace and Everton winger:
When the dust settles, you realize you made a mistake and you apologize, which Sancho hasn’t done, but I’ve been that young, emotional winger, and I made a ton of mistakes based just on emotions.
“I want to know who is giving him advice and whispering in his ear. Agents, senior players, intimate friends, and family members should all notify him, as well as senior players.
“I don’t think what the manager said was personal. All he said was that Sancho hadn’t trained well so he wasn’t playing. It was a professional opinion. Calling the manager a liar… there’s only ever going to be one winner there.”
Ten Hag and Sancho’s comments about one another
After the 3-1 loss at Arsenal, Ten Hag was questioned about Sancho’s omission from the team. He responded, “On his performance in training, we didn’t select him.
He can make decisions on the front line, thus he wasn’t chosen for this game because “you have to reach the level every day at Manchester United.”
However, in response to Ten Hag’s remarks at the press conference following the game, Sancho posted a message on X saying, “Please don’t believe everything you read!